Martinis + Gelato = Canada’s First Gelatinis at Bella Gelateria Yaletown!
International Gelato Master of the Year James Coleridge Opens New
Bella Gelateria Yaletown Location
Vancouver, B.C. (August 25, 2014) – Coming off his latest win at the Gelato World Tour North America competition in Texas last spring, International Gelato Master of the Year James Coleridge is opening his second location in Yaletown (1089 Marinaside Crescent, Vancouver) on Thursday, August 28th.
Bella Gelateria Yaletown is a new, 80-seat restaurant overlooking the waters of Marinaside Crescent featuring authentic Italian napoletana pizzas, unique Italian desserts married with gelato, as well as James’ internationally award-winning, handcrafted artisan gelato. The restaurant will also showcase a new culinary creation – the gelatini (gelato martini), a first in Canada.
The modern, neoclassical 2,482 square feet (231 square metres) restaurant features chic, contemporary designs with sleek white leather and wood furnishings, accentuated with a custom hand-painted Italian wall mural composed of 75,690 carefully arranged mosaic tiles. The space exudes stylish elegance with extensive use of incandescent white lighting, showcasing the glistening gelato pozzetti, classic marble, and the handmade stone pizza oven from Naples, Italy. It also boasts a see-through glass gelato laboratorio where customers can experience the entire gelato process from start to finish.
“We’re excited to share our passion for celebrating fresh, local ingredients and using old-world, artisan handcrafted gelato-making techniques with the world,” says James Coleridge, maestro gelatiere and owner of Bella Gelateria. “With our new Yaletown location, we’re eager to expand our repertoire and taste buds with Canada’s first gelatini, our napoletana style pizza, unique Italian desserts, and share our quintessential Italian experience with Vancouverites.”
Bella Gelateria Yaletown will also be the first location in North America to partner with Italy’s Carpigiani Gelato University, offering an advanced internship program for aspiring galatieres.
James considers himself a custodian of the old artisan way of making handcrafted gelato, preserving the technique from the old industrial world. James received formal training at the Italian Culinary Institute and advanced masters training at Carpigiani Gelato University in Anzola dell’Emilia, Italy.
He has won numerous international accolades over the years including:
• 2014 Gelato World Tour North America – First Place
• 2014 International Fair of Artisan Gelato (MIG) – International Gelato Master of the Year
• 2012 Florence Italy Gelato Festival – Winner People’s Choice Award & Technical Jury Award
Bella Gelateria Yaletown boasts a comprehensive menu of delectable desserts and gelatinis with names like:
• “East is East”: Orange marmalade semi-freddo with Black Sesame gelato atop a black sesame sponge cake with a white chocolate matcha sauce;
• “Vintner’s Choice”: Fonseca Port Wine gelato, cassis port mousse, stilton cheesecake, dark chocolate and Krause Berry Farm’s raspberries cooked in a yummy sauce;
• “Wild Evita Gelatini”: Our Salted Caramel gelato starts by slowly cooking caramel for two days in the Argentinian tradition, the sea salt gives a delicate boost to the creamy dark caramel which balances perfectly with Auchentoshan scotch and just a pinch of powdered espresso beans.
• “Lemon Pimm’s Isola Gelatini”: Bracing refreshment straight from England, this Gelatini has a float of our bright lemon sorbetto in a chilled blend of Pimm’s Number 1 Cup and ginger liqueur furiously stirred with cucumber and mint then topped with a measure of Fentiman’s Ginger Beer.
About Bella Gelateria:
Bella Gelateria is an award-winning gelateria in downtown Vancouver with two locations: Coal Harbour (1001 West Cordova) and the Yaletown restaurant (1089 Marinaside Crescent). Owner and maestro gelatiere James Coleridge was named International Gelato Master of the Year in 2014 by the International Fair of Artisan Gelato (MIG), won the Gelato World Tour North America the same year, and was the double gold winner at the 2012 Florence Italy Gelato Festival. Bella Gelateria believes in making everything from scratch every day, using the best and freshest local or global ingredients, and preserving the true artisanship of old-world handcrafted gelato. They were the first in North America to use classic gelato machinery advocating slow process and small artisanal batches.